Enhanced research tools
- Full-text searchable across the resource and within the image viewer
- Enhanced indexing, with metadata fields formulated in consultation with academics, to allow filtering by:
- Subject Countries
- Document Types
- Enhanced indexing allows Advanced Search by:
- Former Foreign Office Reference
- Key Events
- User-generated keywords
- Easily trace connections across documents by clicking on any free-text field entry in the metadata, and discovering all other content in the resource indexed with the same metadata tag.
- Browse the collections through related and popular searches
- Save your searches and documents using the "My Archive" feature
- Five specially-commissioned subject essays, written by members of the Editorial Board.
- A timeline of key events between 1953 and 1966 documented in the files.
- A glossary of key people, including state leaders, leading statesmen, and East European and U.K. diplomatic personnel, with hyperlinks to relevant search results.
- A "Communist States Fact File" that includes glossaries of communist state names, governing parties, key organisations, and state leadership positions.
- A "Foreign Office Fact File" that includes a glossary of relevant Foreign Office political departments and an overview of the U.K.’s embassy and consulate network in Eastern Europe.