Explore Content allows you to browse all the documents in Cold War Eastern Europe. You can use the filter options such as date, theme, document type, country and language to restrict the number of documents being displayed.
Cold War Eastern Europe is split into modules, to which access to each can be purchased individually. As each module is added to the resource, included content will be fully searchable, but accessible only if the corresponding module has been purchased. Search listings will appear greyed out should the user not have access to the module in which the content is situated.
Synonym search is enabled on the platform by default, meaning entry of a search term will automatically retrieve variants of that term. For example, a search for "USSR" with synonym search enabled will return results for "Soviet Union" and "Russia". To search for a specific term only, deselect the synonym search on the quick search and advanced search.
Phrase searching is supported on this platform. To complete a phrase search, encapsulate the term in quotation marks, for example "Soviet Union".
Stemming in search is also switched on by default. To disable, untick this option under advanced search. Stemming can also be applied when searching via the platform. Stemming is the comparison of a query to the root form of a word used in the query. For example, a user may search for the term ‘calmer’, but a search engine that uses stemming technology may return search results for any word that contains the root form of the word (e.g. calm, calmed, calmer).
Advanced search overview
Wildcards are supported on the site and can be used in all search fields. They can be used in a search query to represent an unknown character.
· The asterisk (*) represents any group of characters, including no character
· The question mark (?) represents any single character
· The dollar sign ($) represents zero or one character (useful when searching for expressions)
Selecting the Return to Advanced Search link from the search results will enable you to return to your previous search query (prepopulated fields and filters) and edit or delete as you wish.
Our search results provide faceted searching, allowing you to further reduce the number of results being displayed, such as limiting by (and in combination with) document type, publication date and subject area. To clear any selected filters, click on the Clear filters link.
Image viewer overview
Clicking on a View Images button from Explore Content, search results or table of contents/section(s) will open the image viewer. The image viewer offers a number of different options:
· Clicking on the View thumbnails button will display all the pages within the document
· Selecting Jump to/page will list all the sections and pages within the documents and enable you to move between them
· Clicking on the Next page/Previous page link will take you to the next or previous page in the document
· Clicking on Next file/Previous file will take you to the next or previous file in the series
· Clicking on Next hit/Previous hit will take you to the next or previous page where your search term is highlighted
· Download page range enables you to select the range of pages you want to download as a PDF document
· Clicking on the + / - button will allow you to zoom in and out of the page
· Clicking on the Home button will return the page to the default zoom settings
· Clicking on the Toggle Full Page button will take you to or from a full page view